Monday, February 12, 2018

Five Christian Athletes On Team USA To Watch In The 2018 Winter Olympics - Alyssa Duvall Hello Christian

Kelly Clark (Wikimedia Commons)

Five Christian Athletes On Team USA To Watch In The 2018 Winter Olympics 

Feb 12, 2018 by Alyssa Duvall  Hello Christian


As the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea continue, Team USA has no shortage of Christian athletes using the event for God's glory. Here are our top five Christian Olympians to watch:

Kelly Clark

Professional snowboarder Kelly Clark is a veteran Olympian bronze- and gold medalist who identifies herself as a "lover of coffee, god and good times." Clark shared with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in a January interview that she gave her life to Christ in 2004: "My ministry, and what God is doing in my life, is really found in my career in the marketplace."


"I'm in an industry where it's very foreign and it's very counter-cultural," she continued. "I get to love these people really well who would never step foot in a church."

Elana Meyers Taylor

Bronze and silver medalist bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor is an athlete who believes she isn't just representing her country at the Olympics, but "Christ and what He's done through me."

"I have a responsibility to show His love and show others what He's done for me. It's also freed me up," she said in an interview with Christian Sports Journal published in November 2016. "We're talking about the Olympics. We're talking about trying to win the gold medal. All of these things can be overwhelming."

"But regardless of whether I win a gold medal or never compete again," she continued, "I just have to trust that God has a plan for my life and I'm called to be His representative through the sport and outside of the sport."

Nic Taylor

Elana Meyers Taylor's husband, Nic Taylor, is also an Olympic bobsledder and a devout Christian. In fact, the couple met at a bible study. Nic came to know Christ in 2005 when he survived three separate car accidents. "It shouldn't have taken three, but it took three for me to realize I'm not in control of my life," Nic shared with FCA. "There's nothing I could have done to have walked away from three completely totaled cars. It was all God's doing. He had been there with me the entire time."

David Wise

David Wise, who identifies himself as a "Truth follower" on his Twitter profile, made history in 2014 as the first-ever Olympic champion in Men's Skiing Halfpipe at the Sochi, Russia winter games.

Wise explained in a 2014 interview that faith plays a "huge role" in his work. "I don't have to worry about what's happening or the outside influences as much because I feel like I can trust God, and He's going to see me through," Wise said, reported by CBN. "I can look back on my path and realize that God had a pretty significant part in taking care of me. It takes the pressure off and I can enjoy it."

Maame Biney

Short track speed-skater Maame Biney first started skating when she was 6 and qualified for the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics before she turned 18.

On her Instagram profile, Biney explains that the "smile on my face doesn't mean my life is perfect. It means I appreciate what I have and what God has blessed me with."

After her qualifying win in Utah last December, Biney thanked God first.

"I am so sure that none of this would have happened if it wasn't for him," she wrote. "If God hadn't given my dad the strength to wake up, and take me to practice, I wouldn't be here today. I also want to thank God for giving me the passion to do this."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing. Blessings on your head from the Lord Jesus, Yeshua HaMashiach.

Steve Martin
Founder
Love For His People
Charlotte, NC USA