Wednesday, July 10, 2024

How I Learned To Give - Steve Martin

 


How I Learned To Give - Steve Martin

"Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.” 2 Corinthians 9:6, NASU

On rare occasions, I share a message in our homegroup, as I normally lead worship and another gives a message. But this time we switched roles, and I gave the message.

After seeking the Lord during the three weeks preceding the homegroup, I settled peacefully on the topic of giving, and how the Lord had taught me over decades the discipline, even beginning in my youth.

I recall sitting in the Roman Catholic church pew before the weaved basket at the end of the long pole being handed down our row – my dad had given me a dime or a quarter to put in it. Later I was given a box of 52 white, small envelopes distributed by the church at the beginning of the year, for the weekly giving moments during Mass.

Being raised a Catholic I wasn’t familiar with “tithing”, but after working a few months in the Eagle grocery store stocking shelves my senior year of high school, alongside the new Baptist friend, I heard about it for the first time. I commenced the practice then and have continued since.

During my one and only year of college at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa, I lived with several Christian brothers. No rent or other expenses were individually requested, but a glass jar served as the collection container, and each would put in funds as they “felt led”. Once when the jar became very low on provisions, the Lord had me privately put in my first $400, unbeknownst by the others.

I was learning to hear the voice of the Lord in giving, in sharing what He had blessed me with in provision for the blessing of others.

My good wife Laurie and I lived in common purse community for the first four months of marriage, in LaSalle/Peru, Illinois. Known as Victory Community, the concept was based on Acts 2, where the early church had “all things in common.” Each working member gave their entire paycheck to the elders each payday, who in turn divided it equally among all, for food, clothing, housing, and transportation expenses.

It even included special events. So, when we got married (in October 1977) we were given $600 for our honeymoon (with the wedding expenses covered by Laurie’s parents.)

Thus, we did also, until we became involved with the Discipleship/Shepherding Movement in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and moved to East Lansing, Michigan to further live as we believed. About half the community, 35-40 members) also made the move.

Around 1983 the elders of Shiloh Fellowship, the church we were members of, felt it appropriate to ask each family household and single members to give a week’s paycheck so we could honor and bless the national teacher, Derek Prince, living in Jerusalem, Israel, in need of a large sum of funds to complete the building of his home. In faith, Laurie and I gave. It certainly was another teaching experience in giving, especially with two young boys and living paycheck to paycheck.

All during this time the Lord was putting into my heart the Christian discipline of trusting Him to give beyond what I thought I could, believing Him when it says in Scripture, “Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed; as it is written,

"HE SCATTERED ABROAD, HE GAVE TO THE POOR, HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS ENDURES FOREVER."

Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness; you will be enriched in everything for all liberality, which through us is producing thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only fully supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing through many thanksgivings to God.” 2 Corinthians 9:6-12, NASU

Learning to give is a process. You start out giving as you can in faith, and then as you do, the Lord increases your faith with more increase resulting in more opportunities to give larger than before.

One thing I also noted in my message was even though I have given 10% and much more through the years, I don’t limit it to one location or ministry. Our household gives much to those working in the land of Israel, knowing personally the households of the faith doing the work there to fulfill the prophetic words of the Lord as He brings the Jewish people back to their homeland. Love For His People Ministry focuses on this mission in ministry.

I encourage you to honor the Lord foremost in your giving continually, and as you give thanks for the provision He gives you to share, you do so in increasingly stronger faith and evermore joy in your heart.

Steve Martin, Founder

Love For His People Ministries 12120 Woodside Falls Rd. Pineville, NC 28134

loveforhispeople@gmail.com loveforhispeople.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing. Blessings on your head from the Lord Jesus, Yeshua HaMashiach.

Steve Martin
Founder
Love For His People
Charlotte, NC USA