Thursday, August 29, 2024

Build On. Each Doing Their Part. - Steve Martin

 


Build On. Each Doing Their Part.

 

“We kept at it, repairing and rebuilding the wall. The whole wall was soon joined together and halfway to its intended height because the people had a heart for the work.” Nehemiah 4:6, THE MESSAGE

The books of Ezra and Nehemiah in the Bible normally don’t get a lot of attention these days. They can easily be dismissed among those having the “that was for then, but we have today” mindset. But all the Word of God is for our edification, teaching, and training, and we need to pay attention.

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17, NKJV

 When I spent time reading how the Lord put in the heart of Ezra and Nehemiah to go from Persia (roughly modern-day Iran), having been in captivity there for many years, to return to Jerusalem and build up the ruined walls and burned down gates of the Jewish city, the Holy Spirit specifically pointed out two things to me.

1.      The King of Persia (a Gentile/non-Jew) provided the protection and the provision.

2.      Each one rebuilding the walls alongside Nehemiah was called by name and listed accordingly, with each person having a specific part and role in the building.

Regarding #1, Nehemiah records this historic fact as he wrote, “Furthermore I said to the king, "If it pleases the king, let letters be given to me for the governors of the region beyond the River, that they must permit me to pass through till I come to Judah, and a letter to Asaph the keeper of the king's forest, that he must give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel which pertains to the temple, for the city wall, and for the house that I will occupy." And the king granted them to me according to the good hand of my God upon me.” Nehemiah 2:7-8, NKJV

A non-Jew had been appointed and set in place by God to perform the needed actions, assisting the Jews in their return to the Land and rebuilding. As a Gentile myself, this is a very important fact, as today we have been given the same role – to provide for the Jews to return to Israel and rebuild their cities and lands. This worldwide phenomenon is known as aliyah in Hebrew.

“Thus says the Lord God, "Behold, I will lift up My hand to the nations and set up My standard to the peoples; and they will bring your sons in their bosom, and your daughters will be carried on their shoulders.” Isaiah 49:22, NASU

As for topic #2, I was amazingly aware that the Lord had also assigned very specific roles and locations for each one to do their part in the rebuilding. And Nehemiah, under the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Spirit, records each name and what exact section they were given to do in the rebuilding.

It is the same today for you and me. Each of us has been given specific gifts, talents, and means to do our part in the building up of the Church body here and now, but we also have a very vital part in providing for the Jews in their fulfillment of the vast number of prophetic words in the Bible, whereas the Lord Himself would bring them back to their Land in our day (aliyah) and restore them as a sign to the nations of His eternal faithfulness and commitment.

What an important role we each have!

Each time I travel back to Israel from the USA, I recommit myself to do my part, carrying on my shoulders the task and responsibility to be a part of this tremendous work our God is doing, as He brings the Jews home. May you become more aware of your part too and walk it out along with others.

Ahava and shalom,

Steve Martin

Love For His People

Founder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing. Blessings on your head from the Lord Jesus, Yeshua HaMashiach.

Steve Martin
Founder
Love For His People
Charlotte, NC USA