- Now Think On This
by Steve Martin
“Your ears will hear a word behind you, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left.” Isaiah 3-:21 NASU
We all need guidance in our life. The Lord promises to give it to us, if we ask Him.
While some would choose to just keep walking in the way that seems right to them, the Lord says that if we seek Him, He will show us the right way. Whether that would be a decision we need to make in marriage, buying a home, making a job change, or knowing what to do with one we ourselves are giving care to, the Lord has promised that He has the answer if we but ask. We can receive wisdom from the Lord.
“But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.” James 1:5-8 NASU
Over the many years I have walked with the Lord, there are several ways He has given me to help in my decision making, and to know if the answer is His will or not. I would like to share them with you, as you seek Him for guidance.
1. Daily reading of God’s Word will bring guidance. There are many directives in His Word that we can already know what His will is, as they have been given as our daily life’s road map. With these already written down for us in His Word, He has already spoken what is truth. We can base our decisions on those standards, and not the world’s ways. At other times the Holy Spirit will have a verse or two “jump out at you” while reading, quickening your spirit, to give you an answer to your question.
2. If the Lord has already blessed you with a mate (a wife in my situation), ask them to pray along with you concerning the situation. Discernment given to them can be an affirmation to what the Lord would speak to you. A pastor or close friend can also pray and ask the Lord for a word for you, as long as you don’t trust solely in them, but the Holy Spirit’s word. There is wisdom in the counsel of many.
3. A prophetic word has often been an encouragement to me when received. Given by one who has the gift of prophecy has been very helpful, as the Lord will use them to bring enlightenment. If you know someone who has the gift of prophecy, ask them to seek the Lord on your behalf. Be mindful that you will always need discernment in receiving any word given by another, so as not to just go by what another would say. A word received is just another piece of the puzzle to consider.
4. Circumstances do play a role in discerning the will of the Lord. Something may happen that seems to come “out of the blue”, or “it just happens”. Consider that the Lord is using that circumstance to bring further guidance. At times circumstances can also occur that will keep you from going a certain way. The Lord is known to use those in directing your path.
5. The Holy Spirit can speak a word to you quietly in your thoughts. That sense of “Where did that come from?” thought may very well be the Holy Spirit nudging you, sharing with you a message in regards to the situation. It may just be a simple word, but that word can very well be just what you need. He may also use a dream or vision to guide you. Don’t dismiss those thoughts, but ponder them for further confirmation. Write them down so you don’t forget them. The fulfillment of that dream or other supernatural method of bringing you a directive may occur later,
6. The timing of the Lord is vital to making the right decision. He is not in a hurry to just lay out His will for you, giving you all the steps at once. He delights when you take the proper time to seek Him. Often He will give you one step at a time. If He delays in giving you an answer (or what we many times deem as a delay), know that it is because He is lining up other situations that may have to come about before your time is now.
7. Once you believe you have received the answer, have confidence in Him and make the move. Carry out what He has told you in obedience. Faith is always necessary when walking in the right way. Do not let the enemy bring doubt or try to make you second guess what you believe is right. The peace of the Lord should be with and in your spirit.
Though the enemy may try to bring confusion and double-mindedness along the way, the peace of the Lord will be present if you have made the right decision. As one teacher would say, “You know in your knower” that the decision you made is the one from the Lord. Carrying out that decision may take you on a rough road, but it will be the right road to take. There are many examples of taking the right road, even when the journey will not be so pleasant. Jesus’ crucifixion is a prime example.
Many good books have been written by trusted authors/teachers on how to seek the Lord’s guidance. One of the best ones I ever read, simple but very instructive, was by Bible teacher Bob Mumford in the 1970’s It is called “Take Another Look At Guidance.” The 20th year edition was printed again by Lifechangers in 1993, and can be found on Amazon.com.
Another highly recommended Bible teacher is Derek Prince, who has several spoken and written words on guidance. His material can be found at www.derekprince.com, or www.derekprince.org.
I myself have published two books that are helpful in learning to walk in the Lord’s guidance. One is entitled The Promise – One Man’s Journey To See God’s Word Revealed. I share my life’s journey and how the Lord led me. It can be purchased at Amazon.com. Look here.
Another one is Prophetic Stories: Signs Along The Way. I share several chapters on how the Lord gave me words and dreams that gave guidance to myself and others. Look here.
The Lord Jesus does not want us to just let “whatever will be will be” for us. He wants to continually have His Holy Spirit give us instruction on how to walk in the way, and which way that is. Whether in making a life changing decision or one that seems too little to bother Him with, He has given us the Holy Spirit as our Comforter. He is always there for us. (John 14:26)
It is a journey of faith as we walk with the Lord. We must continually seek the Lord for His will and way, trusting that our times are in His hands, and that He wants the best for us and those we live amongst. As you learn to seek Him in all your ways, He will bless you with goodness.
Now think on this,
Love For His People. Inc.
Love For His People, Inc. is a charitable, not-for-profit USA humanitarian organization started in 2010 to share the love of the Father in the nations.
If these messages minister to you, please consider sending a charitable gift of $5-$25 today, and maybe each month, to help us bless families we know in Israel, whom we consistently help through our humanitarian ministry. Your tax deductible contributions receive a receipt for each donation. Fed. ID #27-1633858.
Click here for safe ONLINE GIFT GIVING THROUGH OUR WEBSITE using major credit cards: Love For His People. If you don't have a PayPal account you can also use your credit card or bank account (where available).
Contribution checks can be sent to:
Love For His People, Inc. P.O. Box414 Pineville, NC 28134
Todah rabah! (Hebrew – Thank you very much.)
Please share Now Think On This with your friends.
Facebook pages: Steve Martin and Love For His People
Twitter: martinlighthous, LovingHisPeople
Full website: Love For His People
YouTube: Love For His People Inc.
Now Think On This #172 “Guidance” by Steve Martin
Date: In the year of our Lord 2015 (05.31.15) Sunday at 8:30 am in Charlotte, NC
All previous editions of Now Think On This can be found on this Blog, and on the website: Now Think On This