Saturday, November 17, 2018

How About Some New Wine? - Now Think On This by Steve Martin

How About Some New Wine?
Now Think On This
Steve Martin


"Then He spoke a parable to them: "No one puts a piece from a new garment on an old one; otherwise the new makes a tear, and also the piece that was taken out of the new does not match the old. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine will burst the wineskins and be spilled, and the wineskins will be ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins, and both are preserved. And no one, having drunk old wine, immediately desires new; for he says, 'The old is better.'" (Luke 5:36-39, NKJV)


Personally, I am not much of a lover of wine. Not that I am against the fruit of the vine, for Jesus Himself had it for certain during the feasts of the Lord. Plus, in fact, His first recorded miracle took place at Cana, in Israel’s Galilee region, when He supernaturally turned the huge vases of water into the best wine the wedding party had that day. The Bible doesn’t say if it was red or white, but whichever fermented version it had become, the celebrators sure did like it!

“On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, "They have no wine."

Jesus said to her, "Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come." His mother said to the servants, "Whatever He says to you, do it."

Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece. Jesus said to them, "Fill the waterpots with water." And they filled them up to the brim. And He said to them, "Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast." And they took it. 

When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. And he said to him, "Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!"

This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.” (John 2:1-11, NKJV)

Laurie, with sister Linda.
If anything, I will sip on a small glass, such as Manischewitz or a similar dessert wine. (I can just see the true wine drinkers faces now!) My good wife likes wine. She is more cultured than I am.

But this message isn’t about drinking the natural. It is about what you are doing, or going to do when the spiritual new wine comes. For it is coming, and in some places, it already is here.

The Lord usually speaks simple words to me, which I receive as the title for a new message. This morning I heard in my head, “Ride the wave” and so I thought, “The next message is of that inspiration.” But as I started writing, the Holy Spirit gave a nudge and said, “Actually, it is about the wine. It is coming like a wave, and I desire My people to drink the new that I am bringing. The old is passing. Time for the new. Write that.”

And so I had to correct the title, changing it from “Ride the Wave” to “How About Some New Wine?”

Sensitivity to the heart of God the Father, the rule of Jesus Christ the Son, and the follow-up actions of the Holy Spirit (Ruach HaKodesh) are a must as we get in on the next wave and share in the new wine. Some may just be satisfied with the old wine. After all, since the last wave, which seems like more than a decade ago or more, it now feels comfortable; is finally understood and accepted; and the “current stuff that you and I have grown familiar with” is not asking for any more risk-taking, or movement from my comfy pew, or as in most contemporary churches today, “the 2nd chair on the 2nd row, left side, right behind the pastor’s wife.”

Contentment is good. For a time. Paul himself said that.

“Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.” (Philippians 4:11-14, THE MESSAGE)

But then the Lord will call us deeper into His purposes and plans, and if we are willing to trust Him, risk the contentment factor that we have enjoyed for a season, and get on with the next phase, then we have to drink the new wine that is being poured into new wineskins.

Walking down the road!
Let it not be said of us 10 years down the road that we missed the movement of the Holy Spirit for that long period of time. Actually, we can’t afford to miss it. Personally, I don’t have 10 years anymore to waste. In some ways, I am sure that I already have, by not being in step with the Lord in those times and seasons that have already gone by.

Are you ready for some new wine? Or you in a church, synagogue or home gathering that is actually offering it now? If not, I really hope that you find one that is. (I know of one, and my good wife Laurie and I did make that move!)

Being dead in a pew or that cozy seat isn’t much of a life. Time to find a new one.

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Yeshua HaMashiach, has new wine to offer you today. Maybe He will use this message to stir you up a bit right now. If so, be adventurous and have a cup of good, good, red red wine! (I always felt Neil Diamond was onto something.)

Shalom and ahava (peace and love in Hebrew).

Now think on this,

Steve Martin
Founder/President
Love For His People, Inc.





P.S. Check out my latest "Walk With Me" video series edition. A good church: Antioch International Church

If these messages have ministered to you, please consider sending a charitable gift of $10-$50 today, and maybe each month, to help us bless families in Israel whom we consistently help monthly through our humanitarian work. Your tax-deductible contributions receive a receipt for each donation. Fed. ID #27-1633858.
  
Secure, conveniently contributions can be done online now. Click here: DONATE 

(or use the DONATE buttons on the blog.)

Contribution checks can be sent to: 
Love For His People, Inc. 
P.O. Box 414   
Pineville, NC 28134

Todah rabah! (Hebrew – Thank you very much.) 

Please share Now Think On This with your friends on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and LinkedIn.  We appreciate your help.




Now Think On This #368 - in the year of our Lord 11.17.18 –How About Some New Wine?” Saturday, 7:00 am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing. Blessings on your head from the Lord Jesus, Yeshua HaMashiach.

Steve Martin
Founder
Love For His People
Charlotte, NC USA